Company: Peoria Unified School District
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Position Title: Accountant
Department: Budget and Finance
Supervisor: Director of Accounting
Term of Employment: 12 Month
Salary Classification: 15
Job Summary: The incumbent will perform transaction generation
and review of various financial elements/accounts of the District.
Individual areas of assignment are aligned based on types of
funds/transactions and may include, but are not limited to:
Operating Accounts, Capital Accounts, Salary and Benefit Accounts,
Revenue Accounts, Restricted Funding Accounts, Cash-Basis Accounts,
and Treasury Management functions. Chart of accounts and general
ledger management for the individual areas of assignment will be
the responsibility of the position
The incumbent will perform simple and moderately complex
analysis using financial and other related data. This individual
will utilize the results of analysis to prepare standard and ad-hoc
management reporting, develop proposed solutions to business
problems, and communicate with supervision/subordinates to gather
information and research issues necessary to accomplish daily
Essential Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the
Americans with Disabilities Act, may include, but are not limited
to, the following tasks, duties, knowledge, skills and other
characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a
comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by
incumbents in this class.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES generally include the
following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries
to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, and documents
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger and
- Prepares monthly financial statements, and distributes monthly
revenue and expenditure reports to departments/sites.
- Responsible for the treasury management/banking/cash flow
operations of the District. Tasks include deposits, transfers,
investments, returned checks, cash flow projections, escheatment
and account reconciliation.
- Responsible for the capital/bond functions of the district.
Includes projecting future cash flow uses/sources, assistance with
planning of sales, refunding and retirements. Will also provide
information required in the development of tax rates and district
wide cash flow projections.
- Responsible for the revenue/accounts receivable/billing
function of the District. Tasks include invoicing, statements,
collections and revenue recognition.
- Responsible for the development and monitoring of federal and
state grant accounts of the District. Tasks include applications,
amendments, monthly monitoring and completion reporting.
- Assists in development of quality metrics and associated goals
as they relate to financial information.
- Reports on established quality metrics and utilizes information
to analyze variances from goal. Will initiate appropriate
corrective action and/or preventive action.
- Develops and performs quality control of ad-hoc
reports/templates for use by site/department personnel.
- Generates reports to support timely and accurate management
- Assists with budget development and monitoring tasks through
data collection and input.
- Provides training in the use of the District's computerized
financial system and assists departmental personnel with budget
questions, proper expenditure coding, document processing and other
accounting related activities.
- Assists with the fiscal year-end and fixed asset
- Assists with preparation of annual financial statements.
- Prepares audit schedules for internal and external
- Maintains knowledge of the Arizona Uniform System of Financial
Records and relevant
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Performs other duties as assigned/required and assists with
special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, state, county and city
statutes, rules, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable Peoria Unified School District and
departmental policies and procedures
- Knowledge of quality tools and models, benchmarking practices
and techniques, statistics, and
- fInancial analysis.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite applications.
- Proficiency with Visions software modules desirable.
- Ability to develop unique and innovative solutions to
- Independent thinking/Self-initiative: A critical thinker with
the ability to focus on the things which matter
- most to achieving the desired outcome.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
relations with co-workers, vendors, students,
- parents, the general public and others having business with the
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Accounting degree preferred, minimum
A.A. A high school diploma or GED AND 2 years working in an
accounting/finance environment, preferably education, OR any
equivalent combination of experience and education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint and background clearance
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Arizona driver's
- May be required to lift and carry heavy, bulky supplies and
materials weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
- May be required to travel to perform work functions
Keywords: Peoria Unified School District, Peoria , Accountant, Other , Peoria, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!