Director, Risk Management (HR & Chief Legal Office)
Posted on: October 11, 2020
Purpose of JobWe are seeking a talented Director, Risk
Management (HR & Chief Legal Office) for our San Antonio, TX;
Plano, TX; Phoenix, AZ and Remote facilities.
Accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing
team in support of the enhancement and growth of the USAA risk
management program. Influences processes at both the business unit
and enterprise level and leads and sets the agenda for risk
management deliverables. Responsible for providing risk management
support for a line of business or staff agency in key risk
identification, measurement, monitoring, control and reporting, and
the understanding and management of risk through appropriate
practices and processes. Accountable for monitoring the risk and
control environment and provides effective challenge to internal
and external stakeholders to ensure that exposures are kept at
acceptable levels. Leads cross-functional teams and collaborates
with control partners to achieve objectives across multiple
business units or Centers of Excellence. Participates in and
supports internal and external audits, regulatory reviews, and
rating agency requests.Job RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows what it
means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of
U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission
requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.In each
of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best
Companies to Work For-, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top
10 Military Friendly- Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a
robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran
spouses-to apply. (17 seconds) (31 seconds)
- Directs staff and initiatives that support risk management
programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, risk
infrastructure development, identification, quantification, and
aggregation of key and emerging risks and/or operational risks and
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk professionals
through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and
related managerial activities.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the
formulation of stress test plans, identification, assessment and
documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated
with new or modified products, services, distribution channels,
regulations and/or third-party operations.
- Directs the oversight of model risk through model documentation
review, assessment of performance monitoring, model validation, and
- Directs teams in the development of risk dashboards and
reporting formats in alignment with risk appetite/profile and leads
teams in the identification, quantification and aggregation of
risks using analytical methodologies.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of risk
policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to
ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices
and regulatory requirements.
- Accountable for the development, implementation and oversight
of risk management frameworks.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and
may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory
bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance, or a
related field required OR 4 additional years of related experience
beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a
- 8 or more years risk management or operations experience in a
relevant functional area to include banking, insurance, financial
services, audit, project management, public accounting or other
related operational area
- Or Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other discipline
relevant to risk management and 6 years of work experience in a
discipline relevant to risk management.
- Or PhD in a Risk Management, Business, Finance, or other
discipline relevant to risk management and 4 years of work
experience in a discipline relevant to risk management.
- 3 years of direct team lead or management experience.
- Advanced risk management experience in a complex institution
and/or highly matrixed environment related to banking, insurance
and/or financial services.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict resolution management and
ability to effectively challenge at all levels of management and
influence business outcomes.
- Experience leading and directing work with both internal and
external partners in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and knowledge of data analysis
tools and techniques and decision-making abilities, to include
demonstrated ability to effectively make data-driven
- Proactively identifies potential concerns and follows-up to
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel
and PowerPoint.*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different
job level*When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions.- This will take approximately 5
minutes.- Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your
- Extensive experience implementing and performing risk oversight
programs for Human Resources and Chief Legal Office that includes
performing and/or establishing risk assessments, issue management,
RCSA's, control reviews, testing, KRI's, operational loss and risk
- Experience with providing oversight for a shared services
operating unit that provides services to the Enterprise.
- Experience with working with FLOD, SLOD, TLOD, and Legal Team
with the regulatory change management process, regulatory exams,
and experience with regulators.
- Knowledgeable of law/rule/regulatory requirements and
supporting processes for Human Resources & Chief Legal Office
- Experience implementing horizontal risk programs across the
enterprise to drive improved performance and reduce risk
- Regulatory risk remediation experience (MRA's, MRIA's, etc.)
which includes development and execution of action plans,
remediation, sustainability, and interactions with regulators.
- Proven ability to effectively assess process, risk and
controls, identify emerging risks and issues, analyze large bodies
of risk data, and communicate results in a concise and
comprehensive manner to multiple stakeholders across the
- Proven ability to communicate effectively across the 1st and
2nd Lines of Defense and build collaborative relationships.
- Quickly evaluates problems, makes quick decisions, and
influences 1st Line of Defense to take appropriate action
- Bias for action and results oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships with business partners
and teammates and influence changeThe above description reflects
the details considered necessary to describe the principal
functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed
description of all the work requirements that may be performed in
the job.At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits
package in the business, including a flexible business casual or
casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision
plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs.-
Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education
will assist you with your professional goals.Relocation assistance
is available for this position.For Internal Candidates:Must
complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date
of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to
posting.Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is
8/25/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Keywords: USAA, Peoria , Director, Risk Management (HR & Chief Legal Office), Executive , Peoria, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!